Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Pin It

Widgets

National Nutrition Month


Did you know it's National Nutrition Month? March is National Nutrition Month and I could stand to learn a bit more about it for the good of my family. I'm not a great cook and I often worry about improving my daughter's diet. Super Kids Nutrition has a plethora of articles from how to raise a good eater to fun food science. There's even recipes and kids activities on the site.


Starting around this time of year, I like to buy a lot of fresh fruit. Nectarines are one of my favorites. According to Rosanne Rust, nectarines originated in China over 2000 years ago. They are low in calories, fat free, sodium free, and are a good source of Vitamins A and C. I didn't know that I should be storing my nectarines in the coldest part of my refrigerator in a plastic bag. Nectarines do have higher pesticide levels so you should look for organic nectarines. I'm lucky to have a good organic market near me that has great produce.

Another interesting tidbit I learned is that having your family sit down for meals together is important. Family dinners have been found to be associated with better grades, less risk-taking behaviors, more courteous children, positive emotional well-being, and healthier diets. I guess my husband is going to have to let me buy that new kitchen table I wanted.

Be sure to check out www.superkidsnutrition.com for more information and tips that can help your family.

This Mommy 2 Monkeys article is part of a blog promotion on behalf of SuperKids Nutrition Inc.

3 comments:

  1. I think family dinners are crucial! Good to you for making this a priority.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are a rare family that eats seven nights a week as a family. Even if my husband is not coming home, my three kids and I eat together.

    No phone calls are to be picked up if the phone rings and no television allowed, either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks gals, I'm definitely going to make sure we continue to recognize the importance of this.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your feedback!