Monday, November 22, 2010

Pin It

Widgets

Facebook

I have a separate personal Facebook page, aside from the Mommy 2 Monkeys Facebook page. I've considered deleting it, but it does help me keep in touch with friends and family who I wouldn't otherwise correspond with as much. The problem is, so many of the posts irritate me. I think I'm a little high strung and opinionated anyways so it's not difficult to get under my skin. I don't typically take offense to the people personally, it's just certain posts that bother me and make me wish they would put some more thought into what they type.

First off, I am not of the texting generation. I don't like the abbreviations (it takes me 10 minutes to figure out half of them) and I really feel it detracts from the English language and writing skills. I know that subject is up for debate, but that's my opinion. We've actually had text options disabled on our cell phone plan. I hate seeing LOL being used as punctuation. 'I just made dinner, LOL.' Was it really that funny? If so, maybe you should be elaborating on what made that so darn funny.

Secondly, I've never been a fan of chain letters (or in this case posts). I remember getting postal chain letters occasionally as a kid and throwing them away, while secretly wondering if I'd really have 10 years of bad luck (or whatever other consequence) for doing so. They moved to email and now to Facebook. I still ignore them, but I'm no longer concerned about any impending doom. It doesn't help your cause when words are misspelled or the grammar is off. English certainly wasn't one of my stronger subjects, but numerous, blatant mistakes bug me. If you're a sister (or third cousin-in-law once removed) and proud of it, great, boast about it in your own words. I'll take my time to read it then, but seeing it copied from place to place demeans it a bit. If you're a fan of chain letters, great, to each their own. Just be aware, I'm not going to re-post it as my status and I probably won't even read it.

Third, do your own research. It's really easy to read something on the internet and copy and paste it for everyone else to read. Snopes is great for fishing out stories that may be less than true. I'm also not going to put a whole lot of credence into some rumor being half-wittedly posted around Facebook. If that's not the case then I apologize. After all, everyone is entitled to their opinion and free speech.

I love being updated with what's going on with everyone's personal lives and those posts rarely bother me. Additionally, if you check out your facts (which I will inevitably double check), I don't mind being informed of important current issues. Several weeks ago, I posted about an alumni family with some personal problems. They weren't asking for money, but more for verbal support. I hesitantly posted about it, but kept having second thoughts about it because I didn't want to come across as pushy, overbearing, or out of line.  Even with this post, I really don't hope to ruffle anyone's feathers. It's more of a personal rant and I'm sick so that makes me a bit more overzealous. Overall, I've found Facebook to be a great tool, but one that also irks me from time to time. If I end this with LOL, will that help lighten the tone of it?

I'm going back to bed now until Dadda monkey gets home with some toast and tea. I hope everyone's Thanksgiving week is off to a better start than ours.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your feedback!